What I'm thankful for

Every year at this time I try to look beyond the most treasured blessings (health, the love of family and friends, etc) and pick out a few additional things that I'm glad to have in my life. Here's what comes to mind this year:

-I'm thankful that I got to listen to Hall of Fame Mariner broadcaster Dave Niehaus for 15+ years. His death this month leaves a void that cannot adequately be filled. For me, summer as a kid consisted of bringing the AM radio outside and shooting hoops or playing whiffleball while the sounds of Niehaus's vocal tapestry stretched across another long Washington evening.


-I'm thankful for the online furniture store that provided me with a great couch at a good price, and no hassle whatsoever with delivery or customer service. If you live in San Francisco or Los Angeles, check this place out (and don't let the somewhat tacky name be a turn-off).

-Though the show (and the medium) is not what it used to be, I'm thankful that Lara Logan does a segment now and then for 60 Minutes.


-I'm thankful for my Mizuno running shoes, which have carried me to within a few strides of my year's mileage goal while keeping away any ankle or knee issues.* And they've looked pretty good in doing so.

-I'm thankful that I picked up Desert Solitaire from a bookstore on Fillmore this spring. I've since pushed it on several friends - perhaps too vehemently - because it might be the single most beautifully written book I've ever come across.**

*I was hit by a bicyclist on one occasion this summer, but that was due more to mutual erratics than anything footwear related.

**Any book recommendations I should put on my Christmas wish list? All The Devils Are Here is tending to this duty alone at the moment.

No comments: