A Blogger, Idiot's Guide to Using Twitter

We all have questions. Some of mine: Is eight unreturned voicemails in a row too many voicemails (and does sprinkling a few unannounced house calls into the mix hurt my cause in any way)? Is underwear supposed to bend? Should I finally sign up for a Twitter account?

When I heard that the answer to at least one of those is "yes," I went ahead and got myself on Twitter.

As with most of pursuits, I skipped right by the "foundational understanding" phase and graduated straight to "expert." For that reason, if you are one of the people that still doesn't understand exactly what Twitter is, kindly move along. On the other hand, if you are new to the service and need help learning the ropes, or if you're a veteran user simply working to optimize your Twitterscape, then you won't want to miss my new book, A Blogger, Idiot's Guide to Using Twitter (484 pages, Penguin Classics, $36.99 hardcover only).


The answers to your most pressing Twitter questions abound. They include:

How many posts per day is an appropriate number? I outline several rudimentary rules-of-thumb, including:

-The Tongue Rule. If your tongue was going to be cut out in the next 24 hours unless you issued enough tweets, but were not explicitly told how many enough was, how many would you post? Use that number as a baseline.

How long can my tweets be? Check out Chapters 5 & 6, where I resolve this issue once and for all!

What are some appropriate topics to talk about? I'll give you the lowdown on what's acceptable (running commentary as you watch your Joey DVD box set, how many points you just scored on Words With Friends, what your baby is doing) and what's not (social activism of any kind).

To get more detailed responses to these and other topics, stop being such a miser and drop a few bones for the book. Then, come see me on my whirlwind book tour.

Keep an eye on my Twitter page for updates.

No comments: