What I'm thankful for

Among other, more obvious things:

-I'm thankful that Allegiant Air's lone destination out of San Francisco happens to be Bellingham (!!).  I'm using Allegiant for the first time this weekend, and as long as it doesn't end up being the worst experience of my life, I can see this becoming a long-term relationship. 

-I'm thankful that a co-worker recently called me a slob, which in turn convinced me to forcefully make time during the week to run and lift weights.  It's the first time in a year and a half that I've returned to that routine, and not only do I already feel better, I'm saving money (less morning coffee and smaller lunches on workout days) that is in turn paying for my gym membership.  The next step, after my current basketball league ends, is boxing classes. 

-Speaking of looking good - I'm thankful that Fall brings with it girls wearing black boots and white overcoats.

-I'm thankful that despite how fractured my core group of friends has become, modern connectivity lets me stay in touch - through more than phone calls and letters.  I regularly email a close friend in Africa, instant message another who is in Germany, email a former dorm-mate now in graduate school in DC, and exchange Myspace messages with another college buddy who has since moved to South Korea.  There is no doubt that Web 2.0 brings with it adverse effects on lifestyle and culture, but its impact on long distance correspondence is truly a revolution.  It's easy to take for granted.       

-Lastly: In the handful of times I've visited Seattle since moving away, I've received nothing less than an overwhelmingly warm reception.  For that, I am extremely grateful.  The divergent event of my move gave birth to the fear that I was, perhaps, forsaking a part of myself.  That thought still remains, but usually lingers below the surface, because day-to-day life has a habit of whisking us along - as observers, nearly - through our clumsy routines.  So, to anyone who has thought of me while I'm visiting, or gone out of his/her way to intercept me and catch up - thank you.  

No comments: