Yeah, yeah, I've got it. I, too, have been transfixed by Nastia Liukin's stone-cold concentration, and I've been in disbelief over the apparent inevitability of Michael Phelps' quest for a Fort Knox-esque medal haul, and I've been, er, captivated by beach volleyball.
But while the Games are viewed globally as a call for international peace and goodwill (whoopsies, Russia), and as a celebration of the so-called "human spirit," as an adult I've found that they serve another purpose, one that is far less righteous.
The Olympics are a two week long guilt trip.
Imagine the temptation I may feel, say, to skip my scheduled run and instead, for instance, eat half a bag of Baked Lays and watch the new episode of The Secret Life Of The American Teenager. How can I possibly have that argument with myself when I carry the knowledge that a former Sudanese refugee - who literally ran across half of his country to avoid death in a military camp - turned himself into such a prolific athlete that on the merits of his running alone he was given the resources to finally reunite with his mother after a decade of separation (and then serve as the American flagbearer in Beijing's opening ceremonies to boot)?
Similarly, how can I call a weeknight productive purely on the basis of me updating my "status" or "mood" on half a dozen social networking sites - with activities so dreadfully wearisome that no one with any sense of dignity would bring them up in an actual social encounter - when I know that for the next four years, day in and day out, there are hundreds of people who will train - relentlessly! - with the solitary goal of beating Michael Phelps in just one #$%@in' race?
Yeah. Thanks a lot, Olympics. And while we're at it, thanks a lot, Nike.*
*Seriously, though (and for whatever it's worth): that Nike commercial ranks very high amongst the best commercials I've ever seen. I can't remember all the other good ones, but there was this one that Nike did a few years ago, and I'm sure there was also something with Keira Knightley at some point.

No comments:
Post a Comment