Get well soon

I want to again thank you for letting me borrow your car for the past week.  You certainly didn't have to - and come to think of it, if you hadn't, it's feasible that you also wouldn't have gotten into that disfiguring bicycle accident on your way to work the other day.

But, being selfless is a big part of who you are.  And I'm grateful for that, and I want to return your generosity.  To do so, I've decided to give your car a thorough wash, fill the gas tank, and pay for an oil change.

Eventually.  I can't just yet, because your car has a boot on it and is stuck at the parking lot at the 24 hour Walgreen's.  Last I checked, at least.  It's becoming a drain on my time and my laundry money to keep taking the bus there every day to check on it.

Granted, I had been parked in a handicapped spot.  My only business in the store, though, was running in and grabbing a bottle of Advil for the terrible headache I had.  When I got back to the car, it wouldn't start.  It was as if the poor thing had lost the will to go on. 

Perhaps it had.  I think it became pretty badly disabled after I hit that fire hydrant.  I mean, the wheels and the axles were already in poor shape.  Jumping a few curbs will do that.  But the collision with the hydrant, I'm guessing, caused some direct trauma to the engine.  Just goes to show you how incompetent Nissan is when it comes to designing engine compartments.

This probably all sounds pretty bad, but you should know that I wasn't being that unsafe.  It was 4:00 in the morning, and I was the only car on the road at the time.  Well, that's not entirely true.  There had been a local police trailing me for, oh, a dozen or two blocks.  And when he turned his lights on, I guess I panicked a little.  I can't get another DUI, though.  I just can't.

Anyway, I don't think he expected me to actually beat that train to the crossing.  Once I made it over the tracks, I essentially had a free pass home.  Turns out in my state of caution I elected to perform a few additional evasive maneuvers - a few too many, perchance.

But, in the end things for me turned out pretty well.  I didn't have to deal with an inconvenient arrest, and the headache that had started coming on so strong ultimately went away.  Thanks, Advil!  And thank you again for letting me borrow the car.  Please don't feel shy about calling me up sometime down the road to remind me that I owe you a few gallons of gas and a car wash.  I'm good for it, I promise.

Oh, and I hope your leg is healing after that long (and from the sounds of it, painful) surgery.  You probably shouldn't be driving for a while anyway in your current condition.



No comments: