There's a rainbow before me
Skies above can't be stormy
Do you know that song? I remember that after several trying times as a child, I'd awake to a new morning, recall that song's title, and appreciate its accuracy once again.
I recently awoke to a different sort of new morning, an anniversary of sorts. It has now been one year since I left Seattle and set off for the bold unknown of California. (Perhaps at this point there are people asking themselves, "What? Sam left?")
Where did the year go? One of the great cruelties of life seems to be that with every passing day, our feet get just a little bit heavier on the accelerator. I work, I eat, I sleep, and when I have time and energy and money, I try to have a little fun. Most of the things that significantly influence my time here are the simple realities of this city: no matter what you are doing, there will be a line; the maddening difficulties of driving and parking generally lead to a tolerance of public transportation (or cab fares); peace and quite are commonly elusive, as is the cleanliness of public spaces. I've picked up a few new activities - drinking coffee, playing golf - as well as some new expenses - maturing student loan debt, higher taxes, and increased car insurance rates.
All of these are considerations in the equation that I am repeatedly trying to solve. The radical life shift I made one year ago was a down payment for a prosperous long-term career. Is it worth it? I think that it is.
I think that it is.
A friend of mine and I sometimes lose ourselves in "what does it all mean" conversations. After spending a week vacationing in Washington, and spending some hi-qual time with friends and family, I find myself having another one of those conversations. Why can I enjoy either the quiet serenity of the Northwest, or the energetic glamour of the Bay Area, but not both? Why can't I simultaneously cultivate both the treasured relationships forged in Washington and those recently initiated in California?
Perhaps the most irrefutable thing I've learned during the past year is that you can't have it both ways.
(Unless you are Tara Reid. Different context, though.)

No comments:
Post a Comment