Yosemite Sam














A recent oddity in my goings-on has been North Face corporate's complete silence in the face of my repeated letters requesting a modeling audition.  Unusual, right?  I suppose all I can do is continue to bolster my credentials - and what could be more North Face* than spending a weekend hiking in Yosemite?  I'd already been once (earlier this year), and a few months back I made plans to return for the last weekend in October.

My friend Kelley and I arrived Friday evening to find autumn's brushstrokes swept across the surroundings.





































Campgrounds in Yosemite Valley were full, but as the hours waned, so did the noise from visitors and their vehicles, until the only sounds were of the stars passing overhead.

Our plan on Saturday was to hike the Mist Trail - the first half or so of the longer journey to the top of Half Dome (which, as an endpoint, was not possible this time of year).




















The Mist Trail is so named because it climbs up and by a pair of waterfalls, before flattening out a bit as it continues on to Little Yosemite campground (which is where Kelley and I ultimately turned around).

Vernal Falls

Nevada Falls


The Merced River, at about elevation 2,000'





















































No sign of bears, but something (a coyote, I think) followed us into a meadow in the dark later that night, spooking us with howls from increasingly close range.  It was scared off either by my loud verbal abuse or the realization that I'd make a miserable meal.

Along with wildlife, a constant in the park is the gaggle of people you'll find at every point of interest, obsessing with tripods and lines of sight**.

Setting up the shot at Tunnel View



















That held true on Sunday as we made our way up Glacier Point road, car loaded and ready for the eventual return to San Francisco.  It's disappointing for a stay at this remote part of California to come to an end...but I'll begin planning a spring visit as soon as I finish unpacking.  

The view from Glacier Point.  Nevada Falls is faintly visible to the right.














*Fact: The company logo is inspired by Half Dome's iconic profile.
**Unless you are intrepid enough to get up early and beat everyone to the spot.  Our morning departure worked out well: we had the top of Nevada Falls completely to ourselves.

No comments: