But the truth is, the blogfield has been quiet for a while due to some technical trouble. Swine flu of my hard drive recently prohibited my poor machine from starting up, and for a tense week or so I was worried that I would lose all my data - especially my photos and music, in that order of priority. That would have been a very painful wound indeed. I was so distraught that I couldn't even be distracted by my Meerkat Manor Season 1 DVD.
But I visited the good folks at Keane Mac Repair, and after reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to break the ice, I described the problem I was having and they assured me that everything would be alright. Keane recovered all my files, transferred them to a new drive, and even saw to it that my desktop background remained as it was. Well done, boys.
The lesson that I learned is to have a backup system in place, whether it be an external hard drive or something web-based. If you don't have a failsafe of your own, consider the importance of the memories or the work you stand to lose in a black swan event. My "Macs never break" claim is no longer valid; be careful of thinking that your machine is invulnerable. It took me a few hundred dollars and a lot of fretting to come to my senses.

No comments:
Post a Comment