A very Mexico weekend


















A long while ago, perhaps all the way back in 2008, two very dear friends of the blog - Peter and Keri - decided to have a marry. Soon after, I learned that this particular marry would be conducted on the sands of the southern Baja coast, amidst a series of small Mexican resort towns.

I circled the date on my calendar in very thick ink.

Fast forward to last Thursday. Alaskan Airlines flight 224, with me aboard, touched down at Los Cabos International Airport. In several hours, I would be walking in the front door of a rental house in Cabo San Lucas, and embarking on a weekend (culminating with the wedding) that I will not soon forget.



The house was in a neighborhood of town called Pedregal, where the homes are grand enough to be individually named (Villa So-and-so), and the views are even more legitimate.


































At the bottom of the Pedregal hill sits a district densely populated by bars, restaurants, trinket shops, and taquerias.




































































Beyond the temptations of old town awaits the marina, glossy in its presentation.


















But you don't come all the way to Cabo just practice your conversational Spanish with shopkeepers, or drink at Sammy Hagar's joint.


















The Sea of Cortez is 70 degrees. In February.

I took a dip, and then hopped on a jet ski and cruised out towards Land's End. Then, it was time to clean up and head to a different beach for the weekend's main event.


































The bride and groom that planned the wedding knew how to throw a party. On the flip side, the 40+ people that made the trip knew well and good what to do with a party that was being thrown at them.

So that was all good. Sunday, reality came in the form of an 18-hour travel day to re-position myself in San Francisco. I departed Pedregal at 9:00 AM, in anticipation of a pair of flights that would interchange in Mexico City. If you don't know, Mexico City is a sleepy little town of about nine million people.


















I didn't make it into the city, though. I felt I'd already beaten the odds too many times on the trip to try and evade the cartels, see something meaningful, and then get back through international customs without incident. I chose to instead take up residence in the terminal, and reflect on what I'd done and seen in the past three days.

I'll share some more images later in the week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, Sam!