Just like that, Year Two in The Bay has come and gone.
Recollections of life immediately before the move are so visceral that they almost contradict the passage of time. And yet, that passage has grown sufficiently to blur the transition from one era to the next, and now memories of this place have begun to take root just the same. And for all the failures and frustrations I've encountered in this adventure, I've also managed to cobble together a few scattered wins and successes.
While a year ago I wrote about adjustment, the most recent twelve months have been more defined as a period of entrenched, deliberate learning - in particular about human nature, and about myself.
Foremost on my mind lately has been the ruthless permeation of the cult of self. In the age of Twitter and avatars, we must remember that any time or effort spent conveying that our lives are meaningful or exciting or important is simply time averted from actually DOING something meaningful, or exciting, or important.
My own weakness has never been a shortage of ideas. What I hope to do in the ensuing year is put aside my perceived lack of time and see one or two of these ideas through. My tenure here will not last forever, and it cannot be confined to career ambition.
Perhaps this all sounds a little hazy. Well, it's coming from me, after all.
I'm about to spend two weeks in the Pacific Northwest, reuniting with family, friends, and foes.
But when I return - my ambition: do more.

1 comment:
Where are you moving too? And what are you planning to work on? Also, I was able to get that design/build book from Tiffany. I can send it your way if you want.
Post a Comment