Things I think I think

-I think that it wouldn't necessarily ruin Minute Maid to package pulp-free orange juice without plastering "For Kids" all over the carton.  I happen to prefer an overwhelming ratio of liquid:solid in my beverages, but I also prefer a small measure of dignity at the checkout line.  Apparently I cannot have both.

-I think that famous last words (uttered or merely thought) for any diet are "It's the weekend."

-I watched part of a movie called 10,000 B.C. this weekend, and here's what I think:

•It stars a mildly convincing lookalike of Colin Farrell
•It features one of the most climactic wooly mammoth scenes ever  captured on film
•It silences the pundits who suggested that a script based entirely on grown men hitting other grown men in the head with large wooden hammers would never make it to the big screen

-I think that in America today we are faced with a crisis of time vs. attention span.  Considering everything we know about time - it is of the essence, its history is brief, and it is on the side of Mick Jagger - I still think that the assault on our attention span is a bigger struggle than our lack of time.  For instance, have you ever tried reading a book?  I guarantee that after half a paragraph you'll begin to wonder what is happening on the internet.  Two hours later, you'll simultaneously have Wikipedia, Google Maps, YouTube, and IMDB open, and you'll decide to try that book again...in a week or so.  Cruelly, books of the future will probably have the internet built in.  Don't believe me?  Then you're an idiot, and you should find out what a Kindle is.  Pathetic irony: there's an available book on this exact topic, but I'll never get around to reading it.  

No comments: