When animals DON'T attack

Perhaps you don't "read the news" or whatever, but you still may have heard that there was an incident at the San Francisco Zoo on Christmas Day.  While the details are a little hazy, the punchline is that a tiger jumped out of its enclosure and mauled someone to death.

In the aftermath, the zoo temporarily shut down the big cat exhibits in order to take the fun out make some safety improvements.  I visited the zoo today, and while I didn't get much of a show at the new tiger pens, I still did see some interesting sights/creatures.


In person, giraffes do not present themselves as the most intellectual of animals.  From what I could tell, their primary hobby is best described as "licking things."  Also, they seem to have a rather significant blind spot below their cone of vision; I observed one running at full speed...directly into a large tree branch.



If I was a betting man, I'd say these birds are gay.


These large, land-dwelling mammals appear to be confused by all the activity and commotion around them.  



Typical day in the life of a rhinoceros: wake up, trudge around in the dirt for about 10-20 hours.  (Until recent, are-you-s#$%ing-me-considering-what-happened-in-December type development)



Hmmm, camouflaging oneself as a zebra (an animal big cats prey upon in the wild) before going to a place now famous for, more than anything, a tiger escape.  As far as good ideas go, it's hard to top that one.    

No comments: