![]() |
| Photo credit: The Seattle Times |
Life, most of the time, is not perfect, but on a late summer day in Seattle, it gets awfully close.
I stepped out of Seatac Airport on Friday night and into an 80 degree postcard, cradled by evergreen trees and the Puget Sound. The promise of football on Saturday gave the city a special kind of energy, and I myself was nearly helpless with excitement. The Washington Huskies were opening their 2013 season at home, in newly renovated Husky Stadium, against the #19 ranked Boise State Broncos. The game was scheduled three years ago, and immediately, I'd vowed to be attendance. So had longtime friend of the blog Brian U. Back in 2010, UW was coming its first promising campaign in nearly a decade, culminated by a bowl victory over Nebraska. 2013 was envisioned as the year when the team would reach the peak of its powers - led by a senior quarterback, with maturity at the skill positions, depth throughout the roster, and yes, a gleaming "new" stadium.
And all of those plans were still intact when Saturday arrived. Brian and I had engaged in a very successful series of taste of the town1 stops before game time, and we found ourselves waiting out the last couple hours before the evening start from within the stadium. As the seats filled, the horizon pulled the sun lower, and an orange glow punctuated what was otherwise a very purple scene.
Despite BSU's national ranking, the oddsmakers in Las Vegas had installed the Huskies as three point favorites in the game. Call me an eternal optimist (at least one person this weekend did when hearing my predictions), but I wasn't sure it would even be that close. But the two teams slugged it out to a 10-3 halftime score (good guys in front), and fans were fidgety. I felt that Huskies left a few points on the table as a result of missed opportunities.
In the third quarter, Boise State scored a field goal, bringing the margin to 10-6, and kicked off to freshman phenom John Ross2. As the ball hung in the air, I could sense that this would be the turning point in the game. Ross collected the kick and burst upfield for about 45 yards. Four plays later, UW connected on passing touchdown to go up 17-6. And then the floodgates opened. Three more touchdowns followed, while the Washington defense stifled any scoring ambitions Boise State may have had. A final score of 38-6 made for local euphoria, and a bit of a national statement at that.
It's yet to be determined how good Boise State actually is this year. A team that has averaged 12 wins since 2002 is usually no slouch, though. UW's own strengths, for the first time in a while, are diverse: speed and athleticism at every position, a defense that both hits hard and schemes well, and an offense that wears down the opponent. After just one game Washington gets a bye week, and then travels to Chicago to play the Fighting Illini. The three-year wait for Week 1 was excruciating on its own; I'll be in Chicago in two weeks, and probably pacing restlessly until then.
1 A couple recommendations, especially if you've never tried them: Sirena Gelato, which makes the best version of that treat you'll find anywhere (Kirkland, Fremont, and Bellingham locations); Caffe Rococo (Kirkland), makers of killer mochas; and Uneeda Burger (Fremont), which served me the tastiest BBQ burger I've ever had.
2 On the plane back to Oakland on Sunday, I found myself sitting beside John Ross's father. A gaggle of screaming children were occupying the row behind me, but for once I could care less, as the elder Ross and I engaged in a lengthy conversation about the game, the media, expectations for the season, etc.



No comments:
Post a Comment