When I'm not behind the desk of my self-founded public policy think tank The Synergy Institute*, my thoughts inevitably wander to college football. With fall rapidly approaching, it's time for my annual College Football Preview.

PART I - Washington Huskies season outlook
Washington opened the 2010 season with a bevy of returning starters and a set of (compared with recent years) elevated expectations. I was in the stands for the first game, a road loss to BYU that left me utterly dejected, and the last, a bowl victory over Nebraska that had quite the opposite effect. In between, the Huskies showed an improved quality of play on the road (winning three games) but still posted a couple of blowout losses to quality teams. Going into 2011, they will be breaking in a new quarterback, but also bring back a lot of the talent around that position.
There's a lot of excitement on Montlake as September nears. However, the Dawgs did lose a couple of key players, and the schedule is once again daunting. Three top ten teams are on the docket - and two of those are away games. There are also still many more standouts on the offensive side of the ball (running back Chris Polk**, along with a deep receiving corps) than defense, the wrong sort of imbalance historically. A range of outcomes between five and eight wins seems most likely. I foresee a 6-6 finish, and a low-prestige bowl invite in late December.
Of course, I'll be on the road to catch a few games. Stay tuned for this year's edition of the lowly-acclaimed Road Trip Captain series.
PART II - National outlook
How did my picks last year do? Who can remember that far back? To me, all that matters about the way last season ended (on a national level) is that the Evil Empire in Eugene did not hoist the national championship trophy***. This year the same menace lurks and I'm praying that somebody - I'm looking at you, LSU, Oklahoma, and Alabama - gets in the way once again. In the Pac-10 newly realigned Pac-12, Oregon and Stanford are the class of the conference, but even with generational talent Andrew Luck still wearing Cardinal red, I don't think Stanford beats the Ducks. Elsewhere, I see Oklahoma's schedule as having too many speedbumps, freeing up Alabama for a spot in the national title game.
Here's how the BCS standings will look on the eve of the bowl season (with the top two teams unbeaten):
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Stanford
4. Nebraska
5. Oklahoma
6. Boise State
7. TCU
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Texas A&M
PART III - The Heisman Trophy
From week one, a trio of big names will be on center stage: Stanford QB Andrew Luck, Boise State QB Kellen Moore, and University of Nike RB LaMichael James. Although I regretfully think Oregon will make it all the way to the title game, Stanford's Luck will have the biggest year - and take top honors at the Downtown Athletic Club this winter.
PART IV - College football Al-Agaila****
My only illness is being in the bleachers, hundreds of miles from home, full of uncertainty.
My only illness is the dangers of the road. I reach the stadium on an empty stomach with no money in my pocket.
My only illness is anxieties and worries about my team, their aspirations hanging in the balance.
My only illness is enthusiasm.
*The Synergy Institute - "Ideas to think about"
**...seen above spoiling Cal's last ever game at old Memorial Stadium
***Thank you, Cam Newton and Auburn!
****A poem in the traditional Libyan style

No comments:
Post a Comment