College football preview

If I'm not posting cry-for-help status updates to my Facebook page, then I'm probably just distracted by the goings-on in the world of college football. With the 2010 season only days away, this seems an opportune time to momentarily halt the blog's political grandstanding, and post my fourth annual College Football Season Preview.




















PART I - Washington Huskies season outlook

I don't expect that many impartial observers beheld the 2009 Huskies, and their 5-7 record, with anything approaching a sense of awe. But to the team's downtrodden fan base, those five wins (and the four close losses among the other games) represented a significant revival, if not a flirtation with relevance. 2009 was Year One for a new coaching staff headed by Steve Sarkisian, and there was much ballyhooing about "changing the culture"*. Since NCAA athletics are all about having fun winning, however, Year Two brings with it a loftier set of expectations.

This version of the Dawgs has weapons, though, the most formidable of which is senior quarterback Jake Locker (pictured above). Expect each telecast to begin with much gushing over Locker's considerable skill set - and that will just be from me, to anyone who will listen. Yet around the quarterback are a half dozen other dangerous skill players. If the defense can make some strides this year (at least two of the close losses in 2009 were the result of egregious mental errors on that side of the ball), the Huskies may in fact make a habit of not just competing, but of winning. My prediction: a 2-2 start (wins over BYU and Syracuse), leading to a resurgent 8-4 season, and a long-awaited bowl appearance. Meanwhile, the conference champion looks to be either Oregon State or that other one up there.

The first four games on the schedule are crucial. In sports, the window of opportunity blows open and closed with the breeze; for the Huskies, it may not open much wider than this for several years. I will do my part to will the team along, and will post several new installments of my possibly-popular Road Trip Captain series this fall.

PART II - National outlook

In case you forgot, last year I correctly picked Texas to finish #2 in the country and play for the BCS championship. My other predictions were perhaps not quite as prophetic.

No matter. I'm paid for ideas; so what if they're right hardly ever**. The idea I am going to sell to you today is this: Alabama will reload from the loss of virtually its entire starting defense and return to the national title game, thanks in no small part to the dynamic 1-2 punch of the Crimson Tide's senior quarterback and running back - both of whom may make it to the Heisman presentation next winter (more on that later). I'm going to go out on a limb, though, and assert that both Iowa and TCU go undefeated, with Iowa ending up on the other side of the main event, and TCU crying foul forever after. Here's how the BCS standings will look on the eve of bowl season:

1. Alabama (12-1)
2. Iowa (12-0)
3. TCU (12-0)
4. Oregon (11-1)
5. Boise State (11-1)
6. Nebraska (11-2)
7. West Virginia (11-1)
8. Penn State (10-2)
9. Miami (9-3)
10. Florida (10-3)

PART III - The Heisman trophy

Alabama running back Mark Ingram elected to return to Tuscaloosa for his senior year, and he will likely make a strong push for a second consecutive Heisman this fall. Two Heismans in one career has only been done once before, though, and I don't see Ingram pulling the feat off. If the Huskies start strong, Locker's name will stay in the mix (though I think UW will need at least nine wins for him to be a real contender). Other names you will hear along the way are Boise State QB (and Prosser High School alum!) Kellen Moore, Miami QB Jacory Harris, and Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor. My pick, however, is West Virginia RB Noel Devine. If the Mountaineers finish in the top 10, I think he runs (heh) away with the hardware.

PART IV - College football Pindaric ode

There was a time when bleachers, sky, and field
The autumn air and autumn leaves
To everyone revealed
Uniforms with letters on their sleeves
And premonitions finally would yield
Though it is not now as it was anon
When by schoolyard winds our cheeks were stung
We smile despite those days being gone
For every fall we all are young

* One of the biggest cliches in sports
** One of the most repetitive allegations against me

No comments: