Quote du jour

I have received...the most sacred pledges that whatever happens they will fight to the end, be it bitter or be it glorious. Nay, if we fight to the end, it can only be glorious.

Those were the words of Winston Churchill, taken from a broadcast to the British people on the eve of war's outbreak in 1940. Today, they happen to apply perfectly to a more pleasant topic than war - the U.S. national soccer team and its narrow, last second victory over Algeria. The win propels our boys to the World Cup's 16-team elimination round. Considering the context and drama it is surely one of the most memorable moments in U.S. soccer history.

















Said Team USA hero Landon Donovan after the game:

"I used to see this game we play as just a game, and I think I've realized particularly during this tournament that it's more than that. It's an opportunity to inspire...I think tonight is going to do a lot more for me and other people than maybe we'll realize."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true!!! Go USA!!!