After the dreariness of 2009, perhaps some optimism for 2010 is well in order. Determination to continue working hard and being upbeat (or to first start those things, and then continue them) would not be a poor goal in itself. But I am never at a loss for impractical ideas, so I've outlined three additional New Year’s Resolutions for myself:
If you feel the need to broadcast via Facebook that you are “soooooo tireeeeeed,” I resolve to block you. Period.
When I inadvertently stumble across your cyber-whining, I’d like it to be a little more unusual than “I’m too tired to be at work! Ugh!” People that lead anything remotely resembling an adult life should be tired most of the time.
For reasons better left undisclosed in this space, A Blogger, Idiot averages only about five hours of tortured sleep per night. I try to counteract this poor lifestyle with coffee, exercise, and a secret Costanza-esque nap nook in my office, but for the most part, sleep deprivation, real or imaginary, is a part of life. You going out of your way to complain about this is like me posting a status update that reads, “Today I had to pay money at the gas station when I filled my car up :(” Or, “The cute girl in the coffee shop isn’t paying ANY attention to me! Grrrrrr.”
If you feel the need to broadcast via Facebook that you are “soooooo tireeeeeed,” I resolve to block you. Period.
When I inadvertently stumble across your cyber-whining, I’d like it to be a little more unusual than “I’m too tired to be at work! Ugh!” People that lead anything remotely resembling an adult life should be tired most of the time.
For reasons better left undisclosed in this space, A Blogger, Idiot averages only about five hours of tortured sleep per night. I try to counteract this poor lifestyle with coffee, exercise, and a secret Costanza-esque nap nook in my office, but for the most part, sleep deprivation, real or imaginary, is a part of life. You going out of your way to complain about this is like me posting a status update that reads, “Today I had to pay money at the gas station when I filled my car up :(” Or, “The cute girl in the coffee shop isn’t paying ANY attention to me! Grrrrrr.”
Some things just go without saying.
I resolve to chronically misuse one word to the point that it takes on a new (and accepted) definition. Several weeks ago, I was helping friend of the blog Nathan move out of his Seattle apartment, and his brother Aaron asked me if I knew what the word lodestone meant. Not wishing to convey any intellectual elitism, I said no, and looked it up in the dictionary. Aaron had wanted to use it mean a pivotal event, or crux:*
"This particularly awkward couch is the lodestone of the whole move."
That, obviously, is a misapplication of the word as it stands defined. But the word is also rarely used, and I think that from a phonetic standpoint the alternate definition is mildly believable. It’s also possible that I just think the whole thing is kind of funny.
Whatever the case, lodestone will be the lodestone of my 2010 vocabulary.
Finally, I resolve to run 365 miles this year. For the non-math majors in the crowd, that works out to an average of one mile per day on the calendar. I don’t expect to do it quite as robotically as that, though. Instead, this will be a collection of two or three sessions per week. I will probably have to run when it is 85 degrees outside, and also when it is 45 degrees. I’ll be running in the wind and the rain. There will be some morning runs when I am still woozy from the night before, and some evening runs when I am fatigued with the day gone by. Nonetheless, outfitted with a new pair of running shoes, I think I’m ready. If you want to join me, you can track my progress – and your own – on this website.**
I resolve to chronically misuse one word to the point that it takes on a new (and accepted) definition. Several weeks ago, I was helping friend of the blog Nathan move out of his Seattle apartment, and his brother Aaron asked me if I knew what the word lodestone meant. Not wishing to convey any intellectual elitism, I said no, and looked it up in the dictionary. Aaron had wanted to use it mean a pivotal event, or crux:*
"This particularly awkward couch is the lodestone of the whole move."
That, obviously, is a misapplication of the word as it stands defined. But the word is also rarely used, and I think that from a phonetic standpoint the alternate definition is mildly believable. It’s also possible that I just think the whole thing is kind of funny.
Whatever the case, lodestone will be the lodestone of my 2010 vocabulary.
Finally, I resolve to run 365 miles this year. For the non-math majors in the crowd, that works out to an average of one mile per day on the calendar. I don’t expect to do it quite as robotically as that, though. Instead, this will be a collection of two or three sessions per week. I will probably have to run when it is 85 degrees outside, and also when it is 45 degrees. I’ll be running in the wind and the rain. There will be some morning runs when I am still woozy from the night before, and some evening runs when I am fatigued with the day gone by. Nonetheless, outfitted with a new pair of running shoes, I think I’m ready. If you want to join me, you can track my progress – and your own – on this website.**
This regimen promises to be the lodestone to my overall fitness and conditioning in 2010. If it works, I may just try for 808 miles in '11.
**One rule - it has to be all outdoors. I think that running in your neighborhood/city gives you a keener appreciation for your environs, and it's probably just a little harder physically as well. The question has also come up: Do races count? Answer: Yes. If they are outdoors.

2 comments:
I think you are amazing....and I also love that sign...That bear is super yummy...and not in a meat sort of way!
Wow! I love your resolutions, Sam! You can track my running as well at www.dailymile.com.
Hope to see you soon!
Post a Comment