Golfer Rocco Mediate, who had just surrendered a narrow one-stroke lead over Tiger Woods at the U.S. Open on Sunday, after Tiger decided that he would up and do the following:
(Footnote: That was one of the most dramatic things I've ever seen in sports. There was a basketball arena sized crowd within a quarter mile of the green, but you probably would have heard a pine cone drop while he surveyed the line of the putt. 450 miles away, I was standing in my friend Pete's living room, holding my breath, my hands on my head. Makes me think ahead to 2012, when I have a hunch I'll be in attendance.)
Anyway, if you missed it, the highly likable Mediate would succumb to Woods this afternoon after a mano-a-mano 18-hole playoff (also ending in a tie) and a single-hole played sudden death style.
Going back to yesterday, though, you've got to admire Mediate's stance on competition. Consider that he had a check for $1.3 million on the line. And the invaluable redemption of winning a major tournament for the first time in his lengthy career.
Class, it seems, always shines through. Hats off to you, Rocco.

No comments:
Post a Comment